Thursday, July 31, 2008

halfway done

today is the halfway point of my time on the peninsula. because of housing issues, i've ended up going home the past 2 weekends, and haven't had as much exploratory time as i'd expected.

taking the 6 am ferry back to sequim on monday morning. who would've thought you'd get decent coffee on public transportation?




sean is coming to visit for the weekend. not sure what we'll do but potential items on the itinerary before i'm done include:

1. ferry to victoria
2. rafting the elwah
3. camping at the hoh
4. backpacking into the lowlands of olympic (i doubt i'll convince him to do this...)
5. renting kayaks and going into the strait (i doubt i'll convince myself to do this...)


we've had some fun adventures so far. we went to lake ozette, a place sean has wistfully spoken of multiple times. we went hiking in the elwah. we went hiking/biking at the middle fork of the snoqualmie river.

we went to one of the local wineries and enjoyed their view.


i got to be in a sailboat race- my first time ever on a sailboat. sean was quick to point out that the boat wasn't that big and that we didn't actually go that fast. nevertheless, i was still afraid and excited. it was very cool. you see, i have very little boat experience. i've been in a canoe, on a few ferries, in 1 whitewater raft, and on a dinner cruise into beautiful lake erie (that made me sicker than a dog!). sean and his family have lots of boat experience. oh well. you have to start somewhere.

i like the spinnaker part. my only "job" during the race was to frantically pull it in to avoid getting it wet. i took this job very seriously.



my feet! again!! perhaps pictures of my feet will be my trademark. like the pictures sean always takes of himself riding.

my trademark. clever.


his trademark. nerd!!





pretty.




i've gone on a few bike rides. here's the cool train bridge.




it is lovely here. going back and forth to seattle has really helped me experience and enjoy the contrasts. while home last weekend, we went to the boring- oops, i meant boeing plane museum and to the art museum and enjoyed the hustle and bustle of downtown. we went to the seafood festival in ballard where i saw more people on 1 square block then i encounter in one week here. both are good things. i'm lucky to have this experience.

sean at SAM



nobody in sequim

1 comment:

Old Fat and Slow said...

SAILING ON PUGET SOUND!!! I am turning completely green with envy! The biggest boat I've ever sailed was 22ft on Cheney Reservoir in Kansas. Here is sit with water less than 20 miles away and my boat 1100 miles away. My dream has always been to cruise Puget Sound and up into Canada.
Dang Girl, life is good!